Make your slow cooker your partner in losing weight. On days when time is tight, it takes 20 minutes or less to “cook and drain” anti-inflammatory ingredients like beans, bell peppers, mushrooms, and turkey breast in a slow cooker saucepan. until you get home from work. For an antioxidant booster, add a crunchy green salad as a side dish.
Cooking time: 6 hours 40 minutes
- 1 19.2 ounce packet of ground turkey breast
- 1 8-ounce package. Cremini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 28-ounce can with no added salt, diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can of kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup of chopped green bell peppers
- 1 6-ounce can of tomato paste with no added salt
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground chipotle chilli pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of chopped zucchini
- Spring onions, fresh coriander and lime wedges
How to do it
- In a large non-stick pan, cook the turkey and mushrooms over medium heat until the turkey is no longer pink, then stir to break them. Drain. Place in a 4 to 5 qt. slow cooker. Add tomatoes, both beans, onion, paprika, tomato paste, chilli powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, chipotle chilli and salt. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. If using low, turn the stove on high, stir in and cover the zucchini, and continue cooking for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Top with spring onions, coriander and lime wedges as desired.
Nutritional value per serving: 298 calories, 2 g fat (0 g saturated fat), 521 mg sodium, 12 g sugar, 12 g fiber, 34 g protein[/nutrinfo-black]
You will definitely find more news on healthy eating Sign up for our newsletter!
Read this next:
Eat This, Not That! editor
Inspired by The New York Times best-selling book series, Eat This, Not That! is a brand made up of an award-winning team of journalists and certified experts, doctors, nutritionists, chefs, personal trainers and nutritionists who work together to bring you accurate, timely, informative and actionable content on food, nutrition, diet, weight loss, health , Wellness and more. Continue reading